Friday 23 November 2007

Multi-tasking Mania

From the time I was doing my higher school certificate, I learnt to do a thousand things at once. At university, studying medicine, it was just expected that you had to be able to multi-task. 9 exams in 4 days? - sure I can do that. My parents instilled the practice in me, and it seems I've exponentially increased the activity. I'm not sure there aren't many minutes in my day that don't have something planned for them. Even then I'll usually add more things to do in the time I have. Mostly I'll get it done. At work it can be a challenge though to keep up the pace given that people do need time to absorb things; you can't always rush a discussion about a terminal illness for example, but you can make it the most holistic event in a patient's life, and so I try to encompass everything conceivably possible and beneficial into the time I have, at the same time ensuring I'm not rushing them. Its the whole thing of making something complex seem effortless. The busier I am, the more efficient I get, and it seems the easier it is to do the things I want to do. 

It means that at the end of the day - I sleep very well.
And tonight I will sleep very well indeed.

No comments: